Crispy, Cheesy Courgette Chips
A fresh, summer-time courgette is a delight and rarely needs much embellishment.
These easy, cheap and cheerful crispy courgette chips with gratings of Parmesan can be an inspiring way to shake-up your summer menu, and show-off the value of this season’s humble green vegetable.
Consumers may enjoy the option of a healthier and lighter alternative to the chunky chip; especially now the sun is making it’s way back to the British summer.
These light and crunchy chips will bring the humble courgette up in estimations and can be served alone as a snack with a spicy chilli mayonnaise; alongside grilled fish dishes such as Seabass; or as a lighter side to a hearty burger.
Ready in 15 mins
- 225g courgettes
- 1 1/2 tbsp plain flour
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Slice courgettes into 3mm thick 7cm long chips.
- Put flour into a bowl and beat in 50ml of water.
- Half-fill a deep saucepan with oil. Place over a high-heat until it reaches 180C.
- Drop half the courgette chips into the batter and turn to coat.
- Using a fish slice, lift the courgette chips out of the batter.
- Allow the excess to drip off.
- Carefully drop the courgette pieces into the hot oil.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the hot oil with a slotted spoon.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Toss with the cheese when still hot and add a good grinding of black pepper.
- Repeat with the remaining courgettes.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Delicious Magazine.